UNIT I PROGRAMMABLE LOGIC CONTROLLER
Principles of operation
PLC Architecture and specifications
PLC hardware components Analog & digital I/O modules,
CPU & memory module
PLC ladder diagram,
Converting simple relay ladder diagram into ladder diagram.
PLC programming Simple instructions
Manually operated switches
Mechanically operated switches
UNIT II APPLICATIONS OF PLC
On delay, Off delay,
Cyclic and Retentive timers,
Up /Down Counters,
Data manipulating instructions,
Applications of PLC
Motor start and stop,
Simple materials handling applications,
Automatic water level controller,
Automatic lubrication of supplier Conveyor belt,
Automatic car washing machine,
Bottle label detection and process control application.
UNIT III SCADA SYSTEM & ARCHITECTURE
Data acquisition systems,
Evolution of SCADA,
Monitoring and supervisory functions,
SCADA applications in Utility Automation,
SCADA System Components: Schemes
Remote Terminal Unit (RTU),
Intelligent Electronic Devices (IED),
SCADA/HMI Systems Various SCADA architectures,
advantages and disadvantages of each system
UNIT IV DISTRIBUTED CONTROL SYSTEM
Introduction to DCS
Local control unit
Process interfacing issues
Communication facilities Operator interfaces
Low level and high level operator interfaces
Low level and high level engineering interfaces
Factors to be considered in selecting DCS
Sugar industry and Power plant
UNIT V INDUSTRIAL PROCESS CONTROL
Study of Advanced Process control blocks: Statistical Process Control,
Model Predictive Control,
Fuzzy Logic Based Control,
Neural-Network Based Control,
On the successful completion of the course, students will be able to
CO1: Choose appropriate PLC and explain the architecture, installation procedures and troubleshooting.
CO2: Develop PLC programs using various functions of PLCs for a given application.
CO3: Explain the application development procedures in SCADA and manage data, alarm and
CO4: Distinguish DCS, SCADA and PLC and explain the architecture of DCS
CO5: Describe the controller elements and program methods.
- Gary Dunning, “Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers”,3rd India edition, Cengage Learning, 2007
- John Webb, “Programmable Logic Controllers: Principles and Applications”,5th edition Prentice Hall of India, 2012.
- Krishna Kant “Computer Based Process Control”, Prentice Hall of India, 2004.
- Michael P. Lukas, Distributed Control Systems: Their Evaluation and Design, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., 1986
- B. G. Liptak “Instrument Engineer’s Handbook – Process Software and Digital Network”, 3rd edition, CRC Press,2002.
- Jose A. Romagnoli, Ahmet Palazoglu, “Introduction to Process control”, CRC Taylor and
- Richard Cox, “Programmable Controllers”, Delmer Thomson learning, 2001.
- Richard Zurawski, “Industrial Communication Technology Handbook” 2nd edition, CRC Press, 2015.
- William T. Shaw, Cybersecurity for SCADA systems, Penn Well Books, 2006