UNIT I ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS AND TRANSFORMERS
basic operation of transformers
UNIT II ELECTRICAL MOTORS
principle of operation and performance characteristics of D.C. motors,
single phase induction motor,
three phase induction motor,
stepper motors and reluctance motor.
UNIT III SPEED CONTROL AND STARTING
Speed control of D.C. motors
three phase induction motors
starting methods of D.C. motor and three phase induction motor
UNIT IV ELECTRICAL DRIVES
Type of Electrical Drives
Selection & factors influencing the selection
heating and cooling curves
loading condition and classes of duty
determination of power rating
UNIT V SOLID STATE DRIVES (QUALITATIVE TREATMENT ONLY)
Advantages of solid state drives
D.C. motor control using rectifiers and choppers
control of induction motor by V,
V/f and slip power recovery scheme using inverters and A.C. power regulators.
After successful completion of this course, the students should be able to
CO1: Get the basic knowledge about the Electric circuits and transformers.
CO2: Understand the various types of electrical motors.
CO3: Know about speed control and starting methods DC and induction motors
CO4: Understand about various types of electrical drives
CO5: Get exposure with solid state drives
- De. N.K., & Sen. P.K “Electric Drives”, Prentice Hall India Pvt Limited 2002.
- Vedam Subramaniam. “Electric Drives”, Tata McGraw Hill , New Delhi , 2007.
- Vukosavic, “Digital Control of Electrical Drives”, Springer, Indian Reprint, 2010.
- Bhattacharya S.K. & Brinjinder Singh , “Control of Electrical Machines”, New Age International Publishers, 2002.
- Crowder, “Electric Drives and Electromechanical Systems”, Elsevier, Indian Reprint,2009.
- Dubey.G.K. “Fundamental Electrical Drives” 2nd
Edition, Narosa Publications, 2002
- Metha. V.K. & Rohit Metha, “Principle of Electrical Engineering”, S.Chand & Co .2006.