UNIT I FORCE ANALYSIS
Dynamic force analysis
Inertia force and Inertia torque
D Alembert’s principle
Dynamic Analysis in reciprocating engines
Inertia effect of connecting rod
Crank shaft torque
Turning moment diagrams
Flywheels of punching presses
Dynamics of Cam
UNIT II BALANCING
Static and dynamic balancing
Balancing of rotating masses
Balancing a single cylinder engine
Balancing of Multi-cylinder inline,
Partial balancing in engines
Balancing of linkages
Field balancing of discs and rotors.
UNIT III FREE VIBRATION
Basic features of vibratory systems
Degrees of freedom
single degree of freedom
Equations of motion
Types of Damping
Torsional vibration of shaft
Critical speeds of shafts
Two and three rotor torsional systems.
UNIT IV FORCED VIBRATION
Response of one degree freedom systems to periodic forcing
Disturbance caused by unbalance
Vibration isolation vibration measurement.
UNIT V MECHANISM FOR CONTROL
Gravity controlled and spring controlled centrifugal governors
Effect of friction
Controlling force curves. Gyroscopes
Gyroscopic forces and torques
Gyroscopic effects in Automobiles, ships and airplanes.
Upon the completion of this course the students will be able to
- Calculate static and dynamic forces of mechanisms.
- Calculate the balancing masses and their locations of reciprocating and rotating masses.
- Compute the frequency of free vibration.
- Compute the frequency of forced vibration and damping coefficient.
- Calculate the speed and lift of the governor and estimate the gyroscopic effect on
automobiles, ships and airplanes.
- F. B. Sayyad, “Dynamics of Machinery”, McMillan Publishers India Ltd., Tech-Max Educational resources, 2011.
- Rattan, S.S, “Theory of Machines”, 4th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Uicker, J.J., Pennock G.R and Shigley, J.E., “Theory of Machines and Mechanisms”,
4th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Cleghorn. W. L, “Mechanisms of Machines”, Oxford University Press, 2014
- Ghosh. A and Mallick, A.K., “Theory of Mechanisms and Machines", 3rd Edition Affiliated
East-West Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2006.
- Khurmi, R.S.,”Theory of Machines”, 14th Edition, S Chand Publications, 2005.
- Rao.J.S. and Dukkipati.R.V. “Mechanisms and Machine Theory”, Wiley-Eastern Ltd., New Delhi, 1992.
- Robert L. Norton, “Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2009.
- V.Ramamurthi, “Mechanics of Machines”, Narosa Publishing House, 2002