UNIT I FLUID POWER PRINCIPLES AND HYDRAULIC PUMPS
Introduction to Fluid power
Advantages and Applications
Fluid power systems
Types of fluids Properties of fluids
Basics of Hydraulics
Principles of flow
Work, Power and Torque.
Problems Sources of Hydraulic power: Pumping Theory
Pump Classification Construction, Working, Design,
Advantages, Disadvantages, Performance,
Selection criterion of Linear,
Fixed and Variable displacement pumps
UNIT II HYDRAULIC ACTUATORS AND VALVES
Hydraulic Actuators: Cylinders
Types and construction,
Application, Hydraulic cushioning
Hydraulic motors Control Components: Direction control,
Flow control and Pressure control valves-Types,
Construction and Operation
Servo and Proportional valves
Types of actuation.
Fluid Power ANSI Symbols
UNIT III HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
Industrial hydraulic circuits
Air-over oil, Sequence,
Fail-safe, Speed control,
Electro hydraulic circuits,
Mechanical Hydraulic servo systems.
UNIT IV PNEUMATIC SYSTEMS
Properties of air
Perfect Gas Laws
Compressors- Filter, Regulator, Lubricator, Muffler,
Air control Valves,
Quick Exhaust valves,
Design of pneumatic circuit cascade method Electro pneumatic circuits,
Introduction to Fluidics,
Pneumatic logic circuits.
UNIT V TROUBLE SHOOTING AND APPLICATIONS
Installation, Selection, Maintenance,
Trouble Shooting and Remedies in Hydraulic and Pneumatic systems.
Design of hydraulic circuits for Drilling,
Planning, Shaping, Surface grinding,
Press and Forklift applications.
Design of Pneumatic circuits for a Pick and Place application and tool handling in
a CNC machine.
Low cost Automation
Hydraulic and Pneumatic power packs
- Understanding operating principles and constructional features of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Knowledge with selection of hydraulic / pneumatic components
- understanding of designing and layout of Hydraulic Power package and trouble shooting.
- Anthony Esposito, “Fluid Power with Applications”, Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Shanmugasundaram.K, “Hydraulic and Pneumatic Controls”, Chand & Co, 2006.
- Majumdar, S.R., “Oil Hydraulics Systems- Principles and Maintenance”, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2001
- Majumdar, S.R., “Pneumatic Systems – Principles and Maintenance”, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2007.
- Dudelyt, A Pease and John J Pippenger, “Basic Fluid Power”, Prentice Hall, 1987.
- Srinivasan.R, “Hydraulic and Pneumatic Controls”, Vijay Nicole Imprints, 2008.
- Joji.P, “Pneumatic Controls”, John Wiley & Sons India, 2008