Strategies for effective reading
Use glosses and footnotes to aid reading comprehension
Read and recognize different text types
Predicting content using photos and title
Plan before writing
Develop a paragraph: topic sentence, supporting sentences,
Write a descriptive paragraph
Read for details
Use of graphic organizers to review and aid comprehension
Writing State reasons and examples to support ideas in writing
Write a paragraph with reasons and examples
Write an opinion paragraph
Understanding pronoun reference and use of connectors in a passage
speed reading techniques
Elements of a good essay
Types of essays
Genre and Organization of Ideas
Email writing- visumes
Job applicationproject writing
writing convincing proposals.
Critical reading and thinking
understanding how the text positions the reader identify
Statement of Purpose- letter of recommendation
At the end of the course Learners will be able to:
• Write different types of essays.
• Write winning job applications.
• Read and evaluate texts critically.
• Display critical thinking in various professional contexts.
- Gramer F. Margot and Colin S. Ward Reading and Writing (Level 3) Oxford University
Press: Oxford, 2011
- Debra Daise, CharlNorloff, and Paul Carne Reading and Writing (Level 4) Oxford
University Press: Oxford, 2011
- Davis, Jason and Rhonda LIss.Effective Academic Writing (Level 3) Oxford University
Press: Oxford, 2006
- Suresh Kumar.E and et al. Enriching Speaking and Writing Skills. Second Edition. Orient
Black swan: Hyderabad, 2012
- Withrow, Jeans and et al. Inspired to Write. Readings and Tasks to develop writing skills.
Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2004
- Goatly, Andrew. Critical Reading and Writing. Routledge: United States of America, 2000
- Petelin, Roslyn and Marsh Durham. The Professional Writing Guide: Knowing Well and
Knowing Why. Business & Professional Publishing: Australia, 2004