UNIT I SOURCES OF WATER
Public water supply system
Planning, Objectives, Design period, Population forecasting;
Sources of water and their characteristics,
Surface and Groundwater
Development and selection of source
Source Water quality
Drinking Water quality standards.
UNIT II CONVEYANCE FROM THE SOURCE
Functions; Pipes and conduits for water
Hydraulics of flow in pipes
Transmission main design
Laying, jointing and testing of pipes
Types and capacity of pumps
Selection of pumps and pipe materials.
UNIT III WATER TREATMENT
Unit operations and processes
Principles, functions, and design of water treatment plant units, aerators of flash mixers, Coagulation and flocculation
Clarifloccuator-Plate and tube settlers
Construction, Operation and Maintenance aspects.
UNIT IV ADVANCED WATER TREATMENT
RO Reject Management
Iron and Manganese removal
Construction and Operation & Maintenance aspects
UNIT V WATER DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY
Requirements of water distribution
Selection of pipe material
Analysis of distribution networks
Principles of design of water supply in buildings
House service connection
Fixtures and fittings, systems of plumbing and types of plumbing.
The students completing the course will have
- an insight into the structure of drinking water supply systems, including water transport,
treatment and distribution
- the knowledge in various unit operations and processes in water treatment
- an ability to design the various functional units in water treatment
- an understanding of water quality criteria and standards, and their relation to public
- the ability to design and evaluate water supply project alternatives on basis of chosen
- Garg, S.K. Environmental Engineering, Vol.I Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2010.
- Modi, P.N., Water Supply Engineering, Vol.I Standard Book House, New Delhi, 2010.
- Punmia, B.C.,Ashok Jain and Arun Jain, Water Supply Engineering, Laxmi Publications Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2014.
- Manual on Water Supply and Treatment, CPHEEO, Ministry of Urban Development,
Government of India, New Delhi, 1999.
- Syed R. Qasim and Edward M. Motley Guang Zhu, Water Works Engineering Planning,
Design and Operation, Prentice Hall of India Learning Private Limited, New Delhi, 2009.