UNIT I STRESS, STRAIN AND DEFORMATION OF SOLIDS
Rigid bodies and deformable solids
Tension, Compression and Shear Stresses
Deformation of simple and compound bars
Stresses on inclined planes
principal stresses and principal planes
Mohr’s circle of stress.
UNIT II TRANSVERSE LOADING ON BEAMS AND STRESSES IN BEAM
types transverse loading on beams
Shear force and bending moment in beams
Simply supported beams and over
Theory of simple bending
bending stress distribution
Load carrying capacity
Proportioning of sections
Shear stress distribution.
UNIT III TORSION
Torsion formulation stresses and deformation in circular and hollows shafts
Deflection in shafts fixed at the both ends
Stresses in helical springs
Deflection of helical springs, carriage springs.
UNIT IV DEFLECTION OF BEAMS
Double Integration method
Area moment method for computation of slopes and deflections in beams
Conjugate beam and strain energy
Maxwell’s reciprocal theorems.
UNIT V THIN CYLINDERS, SPHERES AND THICK CYLINDERS
Stresses in thin cylindrical shell due to internal pressure circumferential and longitudinal stresses and deformation in thin and thick cylinders
spherical shells subjected to internal pressure
Deformation in spherical shells
Students will be able to
- Understand the concepts of stress and strain in simple and compound bars, the importance of principal stresses and principal planes.
- Understand the load transferring mechanism in beams and stress distribution due to shearing force and bending moment.
- Apply basic equation of simple torsion in designing of shafts and helical spring
- Calculate the slope and deflection in beams using different methods.
- Analyze and design thin and thick shells for the applied internal and external pressures.
- Bansal, R.K., “Strength of Materials”, Laxmi Publications § Ltd., 2016
- Jindal U.C., “Strength of Materials”, Asian Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2009
- Egor. P.Popov “Engineering Mechanics of Solids” Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 2002
- Ferdinand P. Been, Russell Johnson, J.r. and John J. Dewole “Mechanics of Materials”,
Tata McGraw Hill Publishing ‘co. Ltd., New Delhi, 2005.
- Hibbeler, R.C., “Mechanics of Materials”, Pearson Education, Low Price Edition, 2013
- Subramanian R., “Strength of Materials”, Oxford University Press, Oxford Higher Education Series, 2010.