UNIT I EXTENSOMETERS AND DISPLACEMENT SENSORS
Principles of measurements,
Accuracy, Sensitivity and range of measurements, Mechanical,
Optical, Acoustical and Electrical extensometers and their uses,
Advantages and disadvantages,
Laser displacement sensors.
UNIT II ELECTRICAL RESISTANCE STRAIN GAUGES
Principle of operation and requirements,
Types and their uses,
Materials for strain gauges,
Calibration and temperature compensation,
Wheatstone bridge and potentiometer circuits for static and dynamic strain measurements, strain indicators,
Rosette analysis, stress gauges, load cells,
Data acquisition, six component balance.
UNIT III PHOTOELASTICITY
Two dimensional photo elasticity,
Photo elastic materials,
Concept of light
stress optic law,
Jones calculus, plane and circular polariscopes,
Interpretation of fringe pattern,
Calibration of photoelastic materials,
Compensation and separation techniques,
Introduction to three dimensional photo elasticity.
UNIT IV BRITTLE COATING AND MOIRE TECHNIQUES
Relation between stresses in coating and specimen,
use of failure theories in brittle coating,
Moire method of strain analysis.
UNIT V NON – DESTRUCTIVE TESTING
Fundamentals of NDT,
Acoustic Emission Technique,
Eddy Current testing,
Fluorescent Penetrant Testing,
- Knowledge of stress and strain measurements in loaded components.
- Acquiring information’s the usage of strain gauges and photo elastic techniques of
- Formulate and solve general three dimensional problems of stress-strain analysis
especially fundamental problems of elasticity.
- Analyze the strain gauge data under various loading condition by using gauge rosette
- Experimentally evaluate the location and size of defect in solid and composite materials
by using various Non-destructive Testing methods.
- Dally, J.W., and Riley, W.F., “Experimental Stress Analysis”, McGraw Hill Inc., New York 1998.
- Srinath, L.S., Raghava, M.R., Lingaiah, K., Garagesha, G., Pant B., and Ramachandra, K.,“Experimental Stress Analysis”, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1984.
- Sadhu Singh, “Experimental Stress Analysis”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 1996.
- Durelli. A.J., “Applied Stress Analysis”, Prentice Hall of India Pvt Ltd., New Delhi, 1970
- Hetenyi, M., “Hand book of Experimental Stress Analysis”, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 1972.
- Max Mark Frocht, “Photo Elasticity”, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, 1968
- Pollock A.A., Acoustic Emission in Acoustics and Vibration Progress, Ed. Stephens R.W.B., Chapman and Hall,1993.
- Ramesh, K., Digital Photoelasticity, Springer, New York, 2000.